Taga-taisha
多賀大社
Taga Taisha enshrines Izanami and Izanagi and appears in Japan's oldest chronicles from 712 AD; its gardens are designated a nationally recognized Place of Scenic Beauty.

The roots of Taga Taisha are not known, but it appears in the Kojiki and Nihon Shoki chronicles from 712 AD. Taga Taisha was once famous as a place for praying for longevity. In the late 15th century, it became a popular stop on the pilgrimage to the Ise Grand Shrine, the main shrine devoted to the goddess Amaterasu. The two main kami enshrined at Taga Taisha are Izanami and Izanagi. Despite being burned down numerous times throughout history, the shrine was always reconstructed. Its gardens, which date back to the Momoyama period (1568-1600) and are considered popular, have been designated a nationally recognized Place of Scenic Beauty. Taga Taisha is commonly referred to as O-Tagasan by the local residents.





